Dodson & Hooks, APLC Gets Results
Our History of Successful Settlements and VerdictsDodson & Hooks, APLC has a history of success at the negotiating table and in the courtroom. The lawyers in our Baton Rouge personal injury and maritime law firm strategically settle claims for the maximum possible value to save our clients the money, time and stress of litigation. We prepare for settlement negotiations with the diligence and thoroughness of trial preparation. Our extensive preparations give us an edge to obtain higher settlement amounts. We are ready to argue any claim before a jury if we believe we can reach better results at trial.
Through the years, our firm has partnered with numerous colleagues in Louisiana, throughout the United States, and across the world on a variety of maritime and personal injury claims. These partnership teams have produced successful results on behalf of our clients.
Our attorneys have won many verdicts and settlement awards in the six, seven and eight-figure ranges. We have also helped set precedent in landmark cases, and thus, have achieved justice on a broader scale.
Below are several cases that are representative of our accomplishments:
- Attorney Jerry Dodson won a multi-million dollar judgment in the California District Court on behalf of unpaid seamen. This case established a legal precedent allowing seamen to collect penalty wages in the United States based upon 46 USC 10313, a statute that lay dormant for 30 years.
- Lawyers from Dodson & Hooks filed amicus briefs in two maritime cases before the U.S. Supreme Court, along with law professors. The Supreme Court redefined the meaning of “vessel” as applied to the Jones Act and for other general maritime law purposes in its 2013 decision in Lozman v. City of Riviera Beach, Florida.
- Attorney Kenny Hooks partnered with law firms from Dallas, TX and Lake Charles, LA to reach a $13 million trial court judgment on behalf of an injured undocumented worker. The team successfully argued that the employer was substantially certain its actions would injure the worker and thus committed an intentional tort. The jury agreed.
- Partnering with an attorney from Denver, Colorado, our firm negotiated a confidential settlement against a U.S. airline carrier for an injured passenger.
- Partnering with lawyers from San Francisco, Kenny Hooks settled a brain injury case for a Polish seafarer for $750,000.
- Working with a team of lawyers from New York, Jerry Dodson is currently working a case representing hundreds of seamen seeking multi-million dollars in unpaid wages from their employer.
- Along with the referring attorney, Dodson & Hooks served as lead counsel on a two-week jury trial involving an auto accident caused by a sight obstruction in which the jury awarded our client $8.5 million in damages
- Teamed with two other referring attorneys, Dodson & Hooks recently won a $1 million dollar verdict against a major energy supplier for injuries our client suffered in an explosion.
- Following contentious litigation in which Dodson & Hooks obtained multiple sanctions against the defendant, our team successfully settled a case against a large oil producer for $2 million. All other details about the case are confidential pursuant to the parties’ agreement.