How are Cases handled involving Foreign Seamen?

Oct 19, 2014 - FAQs - by Dodson & Hooks, APLC

A Court must have jurisdiction over the parties in order to hear a Case in their Court. There a multiple forms of jurisdiction under which a claimant can secure jurisdiction over a vessel owner. Generally, the vessel owner will not be a resident of the State in which suit is filed. In that situation, jurisdiction may only be available through the attachment (seizure) of the vessel (the procedure will vary for attachment in accordance with rules of the Court). Once jurisdiction is established, the Case will proceed with service of process, filing the petition and discovery. For more information on the seizure of a vessel and pursuing the claim of a Foreign Seaman, please contact Dodson and Hooks.

CALL US 24/7: 855-515-1257

multi-lingual staff, diverse attorneys ready to help you!

Recent News

Dodson Hooks, Baton Rouge Personal Injury Law Firm

112 Founders Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70810

Phone: 855-515-1257

Phone: 225-756-0222

Fax: 225-756-0025

Toll Free: 855-515-1257

Contact us now

For your free consultation | Multilingual Staff